Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How to Catch a Thief

I find that as I muddle through my days, that this job never fails to keep me interested.   The harsh glares I get from those obviously displeased with my continued occupation of the Captain's position in the City Militia, continue to ricochet off my stony exterior.  I think that is what annoys them the most.  The fact that I'm -still- here and I -still- do not give a rats ass about what any of them think no matter what the material of their cloak is made of.

However, just because they hate me and want me removed, that does not mean we do not have to keep up appearances, on both ends of the social scale.  They are required to accept me, and treat me accordingly with the respect deemed my rank, and I am required to pretend to hang on their every word and smile politely as they deliver their inane complaints and demands with a nasal whine.  I am not saying they are all guilty of this offensive sound, just the majority of them.

As it is, I am entangled in an rather fascinating game of cat and mouse at the moment, due to one of their complaints.  However, I can see the man's point, he was fleeced by a professional, and in public too.  I cannot begrudge the man his anger.   So now I am back on the hunt for someone who can not be caught and held by ordinary means.  It was fine to delegate his arrest to others when he was just a petty criminal, but he upped the ante when he started targeting nobles in public.

To be honest, I enjoy the game, this battle of wits between myself and my quarry.  Most people think he is simple minded.  I know he is not.  They think he is crazy.  That part at least, is highly possible.  They think he is stupid, but I know a con artist when I see one, and that man has had them all snowed.  That in part is how I think he has managed to get away with as much as he has so far, he has them convinced he is some sort of simpleton who needs their sympathy.  I think if I hear one more story about how they had tried to help him only to have it turn out miserably for them, I think I might just laugh right in their face.

Something has changed recently however and the search for him has taken on a new urgency.  I have been put to the task to bring him in and put him to trial.  Certainly the source of the task came from the most unexpected of places, but that does not mean I can avoid my responsibility in this.  So I will do what I always do.  I will follow my orders to the letter, and I will do my job to the best of my ability.

I was told to take it slow, play it out a while, but that is not my style.  Instead I jumped in feet first and began to snoop around his local haunts.  It took little time at all to find the one I would use to lure him.  Seems my prey has a new, dumber friend.  I'm not exactly sure what the point to this man's existence is in my quarry's small world, but he will work nicely in this.  He has already got himself in hot water, and it was entirely too easy to get him to walk voluntarily into my cells, and now that I have him, it is only a matter of time before I have my prey as well.

I know this is not justice, I know the charges are trumped up, and I know this man does not deserve to hang, but I made a vow and that is not something I break lightly.  All that remains, is to make sure he knows that his friend is cooling his heels in my jail and is going to go down swinging, so to speak.  I know him, he will come, and when he does, I will finish this once and for all, just like I promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment